Today Amy and I made soap! It was really fun and very educational! :)
First we melted 6 pounds of tallow

and while that was melting, we mixed lye with water. It was incredable how hot that got just from mixing water with the powder!

here are a few of the things that we put in there

oats...coloring...smelly stuff... baking soda...and the melted tallow

after the tallow and the lye both got down to 110', we mixed them together, and then we stirred in the smelly stuff...

...and then comes the coloring (that didn't really mix in well until the end)...

...and then the baking soda...

...and then the we mixed it all together...

...next came the oats...

...and this is what it looked like!

after this, we poured it into 3" PVC pipes lined with parchment paper, and tomorrow we will pull it out and cut it. It will then have to cure for 3 weeks before we can use it.
oh yeah, this soap smells like lavender!
Anna Kaye
I am SOOOO sorry it's taken me so long to get back to you! Things have been totally nuts around here...I would LOVE to make you a necklace!!!! Email me and we'll work out what exactly you'd like to have :)
ReplyDeleterunnerrae73@yahoo.com
Looks like fun.. I really enjoy making soap, too.
ReplyDeleteCan't wait to see it finished!! This is something I've always wanted to try!
ReplyDelete