Saturday, June 11, 2011

out of control!!

Sorry I haven't posted much lately... my life has been out of control lately! I have been working 50-60 hours a week and by the time I get home at night, I usually just crash! We are short 4 people at work so it looks like I will be doing this for a while... maybe. I actually applied for a different position yesterday. Its the position I had before the one I have now, but there have been a few changes since then. It is a promotion and also it will help me reach some of my personal goals... even if the hours aren't quite as good as I have now, I felt like the sacrifice was worth it. Its so hard for me to make a decision like this one because there are so many pros and cons to it! Anyway, I just applied for it last night, so we shall see! I will keep you posted :)
Our May camp out was really good and encouraging, and I enjoyed several conversations with people that I don't normal visit with, and then Monday morning ended up being a testimony meeting and that was also very encouraging to hear from so many!
Last weekend, Meg and I went to Texas for the weekend and we had a very good time there!
This morning when I left for work, one of our draft horses, Pat, was stuck in the cattle guard. There was really no way of knowing how long she had been there because I was the first one up and out, but it looked like she had been there a while. She was on her side with her right front leg folded up and her "elbow" (if horses have elbows) was between the bars and it was up to her shoulder, and her left front hoof was stuck between the bars (her hooves are bigger then the gap between the bars). So I ran back inside and hollered at Dad and he came out and then ran down to the barn and got the tractor, a chain and a cutting torch and we started cutting one of the bars so we could get the left hoof out first. While he was doing that, Mom came out and held Pat's head because she kept trying to throw it around, trying to get up, and I took the tractor back down to the barn and got a couple pieces of plywood. While Dad cut through the bar, Pat kept going crazy and she would fling her head really hard against the cattle guard so I got down on my knees and held her down by her mane while Mom had a hold of the rope that was on her halter and then wrapped around the bars a few times, but she is a big horse for us to hold down! Once Dad got the bar cut, he hooked the chain to it and the tractor and bent it back and that freed the left hoof. The right hoof wasn't through the bars, but her leg had to come straight out or it would get stuck, so Dad got a big strap around big'o Pat and about that time Robert showed up! YAY! I jumped on the tractor (keep in mind that I am still in my work clothes :) and as I lifted her up, Dad and Robert had laid the plywood so she would have something to stand on, and they helped her up. It was a little intense and scary! So, an hour later, we got her up and she was limping a little but nothing was broken, and her head was fine... but I bet she had a headache! I got a nice bruise on my arm where when I was holding her, she flung my arm against the metal pipe, but I am thankful that no one, including Pat, got hurt worse then they did! And I was only an hour late to work :)
Anna Kaye

1 comment:

  1. That sounds a bit stressful! Glad you finally got it though!

    ReplyDelete