Saturday, August 20, 2011

Newfoundland

Finally! I haven't posted about my Newfoundland trip earlier because I couldn't get my moody computer to upload photos! And considering I had 450 of them, I wanted to at least put a few on here! :)
Grandma, Aunt Twila and I left OKC early Tuesday morning (8-9-11) and flew up to St. John's, Newfoundland! It was a very full day of travel having 3 layovers, and at Toronto was had to go through customs (and I was sad because I didn't get my passport stamped), pick up our bags and then go recheck them! Oh yeah! And go through security again... where they searched Grandma's bag and Aunt Twila made the beeper go off :) But...


WE FINALLY MADE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It was a little overwhelming, but fun to get off the plane and see that several people had come to the airport to welcome us! It was very sweet of them! I went home with Caleb and Amy and stayed with them the whole time.
Wednesday morning, Amy and I got up and went shopping to get a few things for the tea party that she had planned for Friday. A store that I really thought was neat was the Bulk Barn! Everything was in bins and you just scoop out how much you need into a little bag! I thought it was pretty cool :) We made a few more stops and then we went to Signal Hill. The picture below is of Fort Amherst which you can see from Signal Hill.



This is a view of the St. John's Harbor. I understand that Signal Hill was used to protect the harbor from any enemy.


Signal Hill


And this is the beautiful view from my room! (notice the water :)
After we went to town, we went back to Amy's and cleaned house for meeting that night! The welcome we got that night from everyone up there that night was very special!
Thursday morning, Amy and Margaret went to clean a lady's house so I stayed there and caught up in my journal and then I walked down to Lloyd and Linda's house. I had a very good time with them and getting to know their little family better!



And playing Play-Doh with my new little friend, Patrick :)


And then Linda took me to the Beachy Cove Cafe' and introduced my to hot tea and a touton, which is kind of like a sweet biscuit type thing. It was actually pretty good! It was so funny watching the little Newfy, Patrick :) He kept saying "Mommy, I want some tea!" It was so cute!
Thursday night, Nicole, Margaret and Lucy came over and we all slept in the basement... and stayed up until 1:30 playing games and eating :) They enjoyed introducing me to Blurt! It was hilarious!


Friday morning we got up and started getting everything ready for the tea party.


Operation Cupcake :)


The outcome!


Amy and I... part of the tea party was that everyone had to wear a hat.After we ate our snacks and drank our tea, Amy paired us all up; a younger lady with an older lady and we had to ask each other a list of questions and get to know each other a little better. I had the opportunity to be paired with Mrs. Edwards, and I really enjoyed getting to know more about her.


Lucy, Rachel and Nicole


This is looking straight down the edge of the cliff behind Caleb and Amy's house. I really like the way that you can see down into the water! It is so blue!


After the tea party, Grandma, Aunt Twila and I went home with Sonya and spent the rest if the afternoon and evening with their family. After dinner we took a drive down to Flat Rock.

Grandma, Aunt Twila and I at Flat Rock.


Saturday, Margaret, Caleb, Amy and I went sightseeing! We had to run by and look at a job for Caleb, and then we went to Lamanche where we went on like a 3 mile hike! It was a little muddy but still a ton of fun!


The sun was actually shining, so I thought I better take a picture to prove that I actually saw it! :) It was a beautiful sight!


On our hike, we went across a suspension bridge and that was a little interesting because it wasn't solid, so when we walked it moved! And then we hiked a little farther and we came to the OCEAN!!!! It was so pretty!



I really like their flag!


Next after Lamanche we went to Cape Spear! And I have a weakness for lighthouses, but I contained myself on how many I put on this post :) It was just so pretty though!


Fact: This is the farthest eastern point of North America... I thought that was kind of cool.

I liked this picture because it shows just how close to the edge that the lighthouse really is!

DUHHHH!
When we got back from Cape Spear, Caleb and Amy dropped me off at the house and they went grocery shopping for camp and I got cleaned up and then walked down to Greg and Terri's house for a fish dinner!
I really enjoyed the fish! It was sooooo good!!!!!!
Sunday after meeting, Weldon, Lorianne, Chester, Heidi and the kiddos all came over to Caleb and Amy's for lunch. It was really good to spend a little time with them! After lunch we went to park and played ball for a couple hours and then we went back to Greg and Terri's for hamburgers and hot dogs. I spent a lot of my evening holding baby Orrin! I thoroughly enjoyed myself too!
Monday Amy and I went to some of the little shop in the St. John's Harbor area and then we ate lunch at a really good place called Fog City Diner, and we were able to eat outside overlooking the harbor. After lunch, we went home and cleaned the house for company.




The sunset Monday night! It was so awesome!


After we got done taking pictures of the sunset, we went to the airport to pick up Uncle Wey and Aunt Bee! It was really good to see them again! And after we picked them up, we went to Dairy Queen! YUMMM! I love their m&m blast with french fries! Tuesday Amy, Margaret and I went down to the "secret inlet" and let ourselves down with a rope tied to the guardrail to the little beachy stop below and we picked up a bunch of sea glass! And I had to at least say that I had gotten in the water so I went in a little ways but I about froze and when I got out, my toes were bright pink! And then it started raining just as we were leaving.


That afternoon we went back to town again and to see the house that Caleb is working on. That night we went to welcome Elizabeth at the airport.
Wednesday morning Caleb and Amy took my to the airport and I made the trip home, and tried to keep myself together because I was struggling a little bit; running on 4 hours of sleep, 2 1/2 hour time change, 16 1/2 hours of travel, 4 flights, customs officials in uniforms and guns yelling at me, hungry, and people that filled up their seat and half of mine... it was a long day! But thankfully I made it back in one piece! And I have recovered my good attitude :)
I am so glad that I had the opportunity to go up there and meet new people and see people that I haven't seen in a long time! I went up to Newfoundland with a prayer that I could be some small encouragement to the assembly up there but I came back being the one encouraged! It was such a blessing to see them keeping on! I really appreciate the way that Grandma, Aunt Twila and I were welcomed with open arms and made to feel so welcome!
If anyone is thinking of going up there you should plan on more then just one week! Its just not quite long enough! :)
Anna Kaye

3 comments:

  1. Anna, I would love to see all your pictures of NFLD if you are sharing them. My email is lrwoodall@att.net and if you send me your email I'll send you our Colorado pictures. Glad you had a good trip.

    Lori

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe next time you go up I can go with you. That would be kinda cool. Well... at least I think it would be. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like a wonderful trip! I'd love to visit Newfoundland some day! So cool that you were able to go!

    ReplyDelete